Huwebes, Mayo 7, 2015

DIY: House Number Door Mat

 photo IMG_8784.jpg

I've had a pair of black resin planter boxes out front for a while now and they keep getting these weird white marks on them that don't really clean off. Every time I walk by them I make a mental note to do something about it. Then I saw this image on Pinterest:

 photo 885d20fb1fa990985caac22cf7d0b1af.jpg

White! Glorious, bright white. So fresh and so clean. Why fight the mysterious white marks and why spend big bucks on new planters when these are fine? So I busted out a can of primer and put on a good four coats. I love the chalky white finish.

 photo IMG_1104.jpg

I remembered my grandpa telling me once that white gravel is great for planter boxes because it helps retain moisture. Plus it looks so pretty! I picked up a $5 bag at Home Depot and that was more than enough for my two planters.

 photo IMG_1170.jpg

I'm hoping the rocks help me keep these new fig trees alive. The trees are supposed to be drought resistant, but that hasn't helped me in the past. I really need to be better about watering consistently - or maybe I should just put these on a drip system.

 photo IMG_8777.jpg

 photo IMG_8808.jpg

The new trees looked so pretty, I decided my coir door mat needed an update too! I picked up a roll of contact paper from the dollar section at Target and looked online for a pretty number 2.

 photo IMG_1255.jpg
 photo No2_LogoFinal_FondBlanc_LR.jpg
Then I traced and cut out the contact paper stencil.

 photo IMG_8706.jpg

 photo IMG_8719.jpg

Then I removed the sticker backing and carefully pressed the paper into place, focusing on the inside edges. I also added some paper around the perimeter of the stencil to prevent overspray.

 photo IMG_8746.jpg

It's a good idea to spray in short bursts directly face-on when spray painting a stencil, rather than moving all around - the paint just gets under the stencil that way.

 photo IMG_8758.jpg

 photo IMG_8760.jpg

No too bad, right? I am thinking about adding a border around the perimeter like these mats, but I sort of like the simplicity here.

 photo IMG_1281.jpg

 photo IMG_8796.jpg

We still need a new lantern out front and I want to replace the doorbell and add a dummy handle to the stationary door. I also want to have a piece of marble cut for the threshold - I only need about 3" wide. I am buying a slab for a project I have for up in the studio and I think I'll just have the stone guys cut a piece for me then that I could throw down with some cement glue.

 photo IMG_8806.jpg

 photo IMG_8838.jpg

I would love to have a little bench out here someday soon too. Maybe to replace that silly little plant shelf thing. I've been poking around looking for something pretty, but I think I would like to find a vintage piece. I did find some treasures for outdoor spaces in my online searching though! Check these beauties out:

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento