Huwebes, Hulyo 30, 2015

DIY Faux Marble

I love it when readers share their home projects with me! Recently Yael emailed me a link to her post on faux marbling. I loved how she used resin as a top layer - I felt like that really made the countertop look like stone!

 photo IMG_0731 copy.jpg

We needed a new top for the vintage credenza for Ali's house and this faux marble idea seemed like the perfect, super inexpensive solution!


 photo IMG_1393.jpg

 photo IMG_1398.jpg

 photo IMG_1495.jpg

I removed the old, beat up top and had a piece of 3/4" MDF cut to the same size and painted it with white zinsser primer.

 photo IMG_1392.jpg

Then I collected my supplies based on Yael's tutorial and this post from Gorgeous Shiny Things.

 photo IMG_0590.jpg

sea sponge // artist's brushes // mixing containers and paint stirrers // feathering brush //

 photo IMG_1425.jpg

You'll only need two paint colors for this project: black and white. You can mix in little bits of blue or brown to cool or warm up the gray if you want. Use the containers to mix up small batches of different shades of gray. You could just do this on a paper plate if you wanted and if you're doing a small surface like mine.

 photo IMG_1427.jpg

Next you'll want to cut your sea sponge down to a small piece and sponge on really loose veins. It's a good idea to reference a couple of photos of marble on google images to help you understanding what real marble looks like. Something I noticed is that veins branch off from each other and usually don't ever cross paths or create an X.

 photo IMG_1445.jpg

You just sort of get into a rhythm of sponging on different colors and tones of the gray mixture and then feather the edges with your big soft brush.

 photo IMG_1450.jpg

Then you use an artist's brush to drag in solid veins. I learned the the veins should be less curvy and more jagged. It's also best to pull and twist the brush toward you. Also, don't forget to continue the vein down over the edge.

 photo IMG_1453.jpg

After a while of playing with it, a marble-like pattern will (hopefully!) start to emerge. It's a good idea to leave it and come back to it a few times, but don't overwork the paint either. I probably should have stopped a little earlier, but I still like the end result.

 photo IMG_1462.jpg

The real secret is using a coat of resin on top of the faux marble painting.

 photo IMG_1470.jpg

Like with any epoxy, you just mix the two bottles together and then spread quickly before the epoxy hardens.

 photo IMG_1473.jpg

You can use a plastic spatula to spread the epoxy, but I just used a paint stirrer. I used an entire quart here.

 photo IMG_1484.jpg

 photo IMG_1492.jpg

After a few hours, the resin will be dry to the touch and fully cured within two days. It's a really cool product!

 photo IMG_0792.jpg

I love how this one turned out. I think the resin really takes the look to the next level.

 photo IMG_0731.jpg

It's not perfectly perfect (I think it gets better with some practice), but you just can't beat the price of a little paint on a scrap piece of MDF! :)

 photo IMG_0768.jpg

 photo IMG_1536.jpg

If you have a project you would like to share on LGN, please email me a link! I would love to see your work! And thanks again to Yael! xo

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento