Miyerkules, Hunyo 3, 2015

Southern Charm ~ Decorating Inspired by the South

Sweet tea, wrap around porches, soaring staircases, antique furnishings, horse farms, the sound of cicadas at sunset y’all. These are just a few things that I’ve learned to love after living in the South for a for the last 7 years. But before we get lost in the grace and charm that is the south, let me introduce myself! I’m Sarah from Just The Bees Knees. You may have seen me around before. I’m monthly contributor for Remodelaholic and always like to share fun and inspiring mood boards. Sometimes I like to talk about different styles from different parts, like Modern Coastal, or Moroccan Chic. Today, It’s all about a style that I honestly never thought I cared for, but over the past few years I’ve learned to love and appreciate the comfortable elegance that is Southern style.

Southern Charm: tips and inspiration for adding luxurious Southern style to your home

Click here to see the product sources for this mood board

I’ve lived in a few uniquely different places in my life; Canada, New England, and now Kentucky. Even though I’m at the Northern part of the state, it’s pretty much where the North ends and the South begins. I travelled to Savannah a few years ago and was completely smitten! The charm and character of that city had me completley enthralled and left me wanting more. I could walk down those tree lined streets gawking at the beautiful architecture all.day.

To me, characteristics of Southern style is reminiscent of Old World charm. The homes are full of interesting antiques, unique architectural details, oil paintings, traditional furnishings, and a feeling of symmetry. Lets take a look at some inspiring Southern style homes.

Beautiful southern style home

Southern style entryway

Southern style buffet and plate wall Southern style dining Southern style bathroom Southern style kitchen

Southern style entry, oil painting

Southern style front porch

Couldn’t you just picture yourself sipping a sweet tea (or in my case a Bourbon) on this porch! I know I could!

Image sources:

1  /  2  /  3  /  4  /  5  /  6  /  7  /  

Now if I was to design a room with a bit of Southern Charm, I would definitely have to put my personal spin on it and infuse my love of neutrals, texture and clean lines with the Traditional elements of the South.

Southern Charm: tips and inspiration for adding luxurious Southern style to your home

See sources for this mood board here!

Neutral Modern + Southern Charm

A Traditional sofa and wing back chairs are juxtaposed with the clean lines of the coffee table and modern chandelier.  I also added a bold striped drape to mix with the traditional toile pattern in the pillows. A plate wall is very traditional, but one made with a mix of pewter and white plates has a much more modern feel! Southern decorators are masters at mixing wood tones. (And I just happened to write a how-to article on that very subject!). We can’t forget to add the touches of equestrian art, oil paintings in ornate gold frames, and pewter trophies filled with boxwoods or magnolias.

What do you feel about Southern decor? If you were to design a room in this style, would you keep it mainly traditional, infuse it with some more modern touches, or even give it a more rustic farmhouse appeal?!

Thank again to Cassity and the Remodelaholic team for having me today!! I hope y’all will have a stop over at my blog to poke around. I would be as pleased as punch.

xo

Sarah

See more from Sarah

victorian mantle savannah

How to style a Victorian mantle  //  Scenes from Savannah

Try more new styles like these:

Americana MoodBoard by Designing Dawn for Remodelaholic.com

How to mix wood tones like a pro on Remodelaholic.com

Designing Dawn for Remodelaholi.com - Art Deco Dining

The post Southern Charm ~ Decorating Inspired by the South appeared first on Remodelaholic.

1 komento: